Loading...
 

Trustees

Back to History Directory

Trustees

The earliest Board of Trustees, for the NYS Institute of Applied Arts & Sciences at Utica, included seven members, all appointed by the Governor. The original trustees: Frederic Roedel, a jeweler, Utica; Winthrop Kent, President of Flint & Kent, Buffalo; J. David Hogue, general manager of the Utica Press and Utica Observer-Dispatch, Utica; Vernon Evans, of New Hartford, head of a Utica office supply business; Haig K. Boghosian, president of the Utica Building Trades Council, Utica; John Gualtieri, attorney, Rome; and John C. Watson, counsel to the NYS Council of Retail Merchants, Albany. Their first meeting took place on July 30, 1946. At that meeting, the NY State Commissioner of Education, Lewis Wilson, and the Associate Commissioner for the Two-Year Institutes, Dr. Lawrence Jarvie, outlined the responsibilities of Board members.

The first board of trustees for Mohawk Valley Technical Institute, in 1953, included: County appointees Robert J. Thomas, New Hartford (nine years); John H. Eikenberg, Rome, seven years: Thomas S. Kernan, Utica, five years; David R. Evans, New Hartford, three years; Cyril J. Statt, New Hartford, one year; and Governor’s appointees Lawrence House, Utica, eight years; J. David Hogue, Utica, four years; Frederic Roedel, Utica, six years; and Willis Daugherty, Clinton, two years. (one report also indicated that Milton Rosenthal of Rome, president of the Nelson Department Store in Rome, would be appointed by the Governor)

Michael C Austin


In August 2004, Governor George Pataki named Michael C. Austin of Utica to the MVCC Board of Trustees for a term ending June 30th, 2009.
Austin, a graduate of MVCC with a degree in Liberal Arts & Sciences, was Vice President and Director of Corporate Communications with the Utica National Insurance Group, New Hartford, NY. .
He attended Mohawk Valley Community College (MVCC) from 1972-74, gaining an Associate in Arts Degree in Liberal Arts & Sciences. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English in 1976 from the State University of New York College at Oswego.
He received MVCC’s Alumni of Merit Award in 1989. He was also named to the MVCC Hall of Fame in 2003 and to the State University of New York Alumni Honor Roll in 1996.
He had served previously as an adjunct faculty member at MVCC’s Rome campus, and as a member of the Alumni Association board and the college’s Middle States Outcomes Committee. He had also chaired the college’s Alumni of Merit Award Committee. He was a member and past president of the MVCC Foundation board. (August 2004)


Haig K. Bogoshian - An original 1946 trustee, a Utica resident.

William Calli, Jr. – A Utica attorney, he was appointed to the Board in 2003 by Governor George Pataki for a term ending in 2011. He was a 1989 graduate of RPI, with a BS degree. He graduated in 1992 from the New England School of Law, Boston, with a JD degree. (See reference to his father as a State Assembly in Intro/Overview/Early Milestones section, 1953)

Mary Chapin was appointed to the Board of Trustees in 1996, by Governor George Pataki, succeeding Eugene Madden, who had retired from the Board. A New Hartford resident, she was a neutral chair for the NYS Dept of Labor Office of Labor Management affairs, a labor arbitrator for the American Arbitrator Association, adjunct instructor of conflict resolution at MVCC, founding member and past board member of the NYS Forum on Conflict and Consensus in Public Policy, a NYS Certified Mediator, Lemon Law Arbitrator, and an arbitrator of fee disputes in matrimonial cases for the New York State Unified Court System. She served as president of the Utica/Rome League of Women Voters. She had been personnel administrator at the Mohawk Valley Psychiatric Center from 1980 to 1989. She also campaigned for creation of a stamp/holiday to honor Elizabeth Cady Stanton. She held an A.S. degree from Regents College, and a BS degree in Peace Studies/Conflict Resolution from SUNY Binghamton.

Warren Copeland

Received the Marvin A. Rapp Award for Distinguished Service from the New York Community College Trustees in 1997. In 2005 he was honored by his colleagues on his 25th year of service as a Board member with an honorary associate’s degree in human letters.

Willis V. Daugherty Named in September 1953 by Governor Dewey to a four year term on the Board. Lived at 68 College Street, Clinton at that time, and was president of the Utica Drop Forge & Tool Co. He had come to the area in 1940 as executive vice presiden of Utica Drop Forge Division of Kelsey Hayes Corp. Was elected Board Chairman in 1956, succeeding Frederic W. Roedel, who died unexpectedly on Sept. 20, 1956. Roedel was the Board first chairman and served for 10 years. Was elected Board Chairman in November 1964, succeeding Rudolph A. Schatzel; was succeeded by Thomas Kernan in 1965. Later lived on Bristol Road, Clinton. Daugherty also served as Board Chair from 1956 to 1961, and continued to serve on the Board until 1966. He was employed as director of physical plant development at Hamilton College at the time and was on that college’s board of trustees.. Died November 18th, 1984 at the age of 87. Had been living in Holland, PA since 1983. He was born in Wichita, Kansas in 1897. Was a graduate of Harvard University and Harvard Business School. Served as president of Utica Drop Forge & Tool Co, and the Utica Division of Kelsey Hayes from 1949 to 1956. From 1940 to 1949 he served the same organization as vice president and general manager. He also served as president of Hamilton Research Associates form 1956 to 1958, and board chairman from 1962 to 1963, when he was also executive director of the New York State Job Development Authority. From 1960 to 1962 he was board chairman for American Emblem Co. One of the MVCC residence halls is named in his honor.

Dorothy Durr of Whitesboro was appointed to Board in 1977, attended first meeting on April 12th. She had taught in the Utica school system, and was a substitute teacher in the Whitesboro Central School district at the time of her appointment.

John H. Eikenberg – was appointed in 1953 by the Oneida County Board of Supervisors to a seven-year term on the new MVTI Board. He lived at 604 W. Bloomfield Street, Rome.

Dr. Angela Elefante – Appointed to the Board of Trustees in May 1981. She was an administrative assistant for instructional media in the Utica City School District. She was a graduate of Manhattanville College. She earned a masters degree from Cornell in 1954 and a doctorate in philosophy from Catholic University in Washington DC in 1959.(See also Controversies)

(April 24, 1986, Observer-Dispatch) – “A. Elefante to leave MVCC post – Angela M. Elefante yesterday notified President Michael I. Schafer, of Mohawk Valley Community College, that she will not seek reappointment to the MVCC Board of Trustees. In a letter to Schafer, Elefante said she had notified the governor’s office and the Oneida County Democratic Chairman that she does not intend to seek reappointment upon the expiration of her term June 30. In February, David Mathis, chairman of the board of trustees said Elefante ‘did not plan on attending any more meetings.’ He said she had not attended a meeting in the last six or seven months. He said at that time he had received no formal explanation from Elefante on the missed meetings or on what her plans were for the future. …”

David R. Evans Was first named to the new MVTI Board in 1953 by the Oneida County Board of Supervisors, for a three year term. He lived at 35 Paris Road at the time. On Board in 1961. Was vice chairman in 1965-1966, 1966-67.. Employed as supervising foreman, later mechanical superintendent at the Utica Observer-Dispatch. He was a member of the International Printing Pressmen and Assistants Union. Original trustee for MVTI in 1953.

Vernon Evans – One of the original 1946 Trustees of NYSIAAS at Utica, lived in Utica.

Elaine Falvo Received Marvin A. Rapp Award for Distinguished Service from New York Community College Trustees in 1999. She joined the Board in 1988, appointed by Governor Mario Cuomo. She was reappointed in 1997 by Governor George Pataki. She was chair of the Board from 1993 to 1996. She was chief financial officer and treasurer of H.J. Brandeles Corporation, Mechanical Contractors, in Utica. She also served on the Board of Education, Oneida-Madison Board of Cooperative Educational Services, the Faxton Hospital Board of Managers, and the New Hartford Central School District Board of Education.

Russel C. Fielding Joined Board of Trustees in October, 1970. Reelected in Sept 1975 to his fourth term as Board Chair. Ended chairmanship in 1977, succeeded by Stuart MacMackin. A resident of Rome, business manager of the Rome Daily Sentinel. He had joined the Sentinel in 1947. A graduate of the University of Illinois, he served with the Army in WW II and the Korean Conflict. He served on the Rome Common Council and was Rome Public Safety Commissioner.

Anthony J. Garramone Joined the Board in September 1982, appointed by Governor Hugh Carey. Reappointed in 1991 by Governor Mario Cuomo, and reappointed a third time in 2000 by Governor George Pataki. He was board vice chair in 1989 to 1991 and chairman from 1991 to 1993. Received the Marvin A. Rapp Award for Distinguished Service from the New York Community College Trustees in 1996. In 1991 was Chairman. He served as Utica City Court Chief Judge, having been elected City Court Judge in 1981. He held a BA degree from Utica College and JD degree from Syracuse University College of Law.

Nicholas Gentile of Deerfield was appointed to the Board of Trustees in August 1981 by County Executive Sherwood L. Boehlert. He was vice president and resident manager of the Utica office of Shearson Loeb Rhoades, Inc. He was appointed for a full nine year term, expiring June 30, 1989. The seat had been held by Gilbert Jones, who declined to serve another term. Gentile was 55 years old at the time, and was serving as president of the MVCC Foundation. He was a 1949 NYSIAAS graduate in retail business management. He resigned from the Board in 1984, and was replaced by N. Joseph Yagey.

John Gualtieri - An original 1946 trustee of NYSIAAS, resident of Rome.

Charles W. Hall
Mr. Hall (“Charlie”) served as an active member of the MVCC Board of Trustees from 1958 until 1972. He continued his active involvement with the College as a Trustee Emeritus (including serving as board treasurer until resigning in 1977 after approximately 20 years of service) until his death on August 31, 1985 at the age of 86. He was a founding director of the MVCC Foundation, and served as treasurer for both the Foundation and the College’s Board of Trustees. He was active in many community organizations, including Tabernacle Baptist Church, Oriental Lodge No. 224 F&AM, the Yahnundasis Bodies AASR and Ziyara Shrine Temple. He was a trustee of the Masonic Home. He was treasurer and trustee of St. Luke’s-Memorial Hospital Center, a trustee for the Utica Rescue Mission, Utica College and Colgate-Rochester Divinity School. He was also involved with United Way, the YMCA, Red Cross, Medical & Surgical Plan, Inc., and Faxton Hospital. He began his financial career at the age of 17 as a bank messenger, and 21 years later became president (1938-1964) and board chairman (1964-…) of Oneida National Bank. Lived at 110 Proctor Blvd., Utica. He had joined Oneida National Bank & Trust Company in 1917. He was elected president in 1938, and at that time was the youngest president of a national bank in New York State. He was born in Herkimer, and attended Yorkville grade school and Whitesboro High School, and was a graduate of the Utica School of Commerce.

In 1966-67, served as treasurer for the Board.
On September 9, 1986, the Board of Trustees meeting room (Room 300 Payne Hall) was dedicated in memory of Mr. Hall. It had recently been renovated, with funding by Norstar Bank (previously Oneida National bank, which Mr. Hall had headed).

Frank E. Harden was appointed to the Board in 1956 by Governor Averill Harriman, lived in McConnellsville. He was president of the Camden Wire Company, and secretary of the Frank S. Harden Company, McConnellsville.

On Board in 1961, 1963

Edward P. Heinemann
Was appointed in 1960 by the Oneida County Board of Supervisors to fill the vacancy created when C.J. Statt resigned, when transferred by his employer, General Electric, to Schenectady. The term would end July 15, 1963. He was manager of materials for General Electric Company’s Light Military Electronics Department on French Road in Utica. He had joined General Electric at Syracuse in 1947 after his graduation from Colgate University. (Statt was also a G.E. employee.) In November 1964, he was reelected Board Treasurer. Heinemann served in the Navy from 1944 to 1946 in the V-5 program while at Dartmouth College and Colgate University. The -5 program was part of the officers training program. Heinemann resigned in 1965 when he was transferred by G.E. to Lynn, Massachusetts. He was replaced by Stuart MacMackin, also of G.E.

Dana F. Higgins

Home address: 104 E. Oak Street, Rome. First appointed by County Executive in January 1981 by County Executive Sherwood Boehlert for last three years of John Porn’s term. Reappointed in 1983 for a full nine-year term, through June 1992. Served until April 1992, when he resigned because of new regulations requiring financial disclosure by public officials, including community college trustees. He was replaced by Mary-Carmel Wolf. He was a partner in Rowland, Bellinger & Comstock, an independent insurance agency in Rome. Before joining Rowland, Bellinger & Comstock, he had been with the Phoenix Insurance Agency in Hartford, Connecticut, from 1949 to1958, and operated the E. P. Scheidleman Agency in Rome from 1958 to 1970. He earned a B.A. degree in Government from Yale University (1948). He received the Chartered Property & Casualty Underwriter designation in 1957. He was a member and director at various times of the Rome Chamber of Commerce, Rome Kiwanis Club, Rome Club. With six others, founded the Rome College Foundation and served as its chairman. He received Trustee Emeritus status in May 1992. In 1989 he was an unsuccessful candidate for the New York State Board of Regents. Was a retired major in the Army Reserve.

J. David Hogue

An original 1946 trustee of NYSIAAS. Lived at 15 Slaytonbush Lane, Utica. Was appointed by Governor Dewey in 1953 to a six year term on the new MVTI Board. He was general manager of the Utica newspapers.

Lawrence H. House – Governor Dewey appointed his as a member of the NYSIAAS in January 1950, filling a vacancy caused by the resignation of Winthrop Kent for a term to expire Aug 31,1951. House was Utica agent for the Aetna Insurance Company. as among those recommended to Governor Dewey in 1953 for his appointment to the initial Board of Trustees, for an eight year term. Lived at 157 Higby Road, Utica.

Elizabeth W. Hubbard

A Clinton resident, she was appointed to an eight-year term on the Board in July 1974 by then Governor Malcolm Wilson, the first woman appointed to the Board. She had served as Executive Director of the Utica YWCA since 1966. For six years before that, she served as Director of the Utica YWCA Health and Recreation Program. She served on the Utica YWCA Board of Directors in 1958 and 1959. She also served on the Board of Trustees of Children’s Hospital (part of Faxton) for 18 years, including six as president. She was a 1941 graduate of Middlebury College, Vermont. She was married to M. Gilbert Hubbard and resided at 18 Utica Street, Clinton. She was named MVCC Board of Trustees Vice Chair in 1977, and Chairman in 1979. She had also been resident of the Junior league of Utica and president of Children’s Hospital. She was a graduate of Middlebury College and had taught school in Delaware.

Edward J. Infusino

Appointed a trustee by Governor Dewey in November 1954 to fill a vacancy created by the resignation of Milton Rosenthal. Both were from Rome. Infusino was named to a term expiring Sept 4, 1955. He was a former commissioner of public welfare in Rome, and was proprietor of Infusino’s Jewelry Store, 110 W. Dominick Street, Rome. He was succeeded on the board by Frank S. Harden, McConnellsville.

Gilbert H. Jones

Gilbert H. Jones, president and general manager of Utica Duxbak Corporation, was named to an eight-year term on the MVCC Board of Trustees in December 1971. He succeeded Robert J. Thomas, who retired after 18 years of service. A 1945 graduate of Dartmouth College, Jones received an A.B. degree from Amos Tuck School of Business Administration. He was also a director of the Utica YMCA, the Greater Utica Chamber of Commerce, Utica Business Opportunities Corporation, and First Federal Savings and Loan. (January 1972) He was named Board Vice Chair in 1979.


Winthrop Kent – One of the original 1946 Trustees of NYSIAAS at Utica. Lived in Buffalo. He resigned in 1950 and was replaced by Lawrence H. House of Utica.

Thomas S. Kernan

Was an original MVTI board member in 1953, appointed by the Oneida County Board of Supervisors to a five year term. He lived at 3 Rutger Park, Utica, later at 2809 Genesee Street. Utica attorney, Served as chairman from 1965 to 1969. As vice chairman in 1964-66. He was a graduate of Harvard College and Harvard Law School. He also served on the Utica Board of Education. He left the board in March 1977, was named trustee emeritus in April 1977.

Richard B. Lewis of New Hartford was appointed to the Board in 1967, for a term expiring June 30, 1973, by Governor Nelson Rockefeller. He was Manager of Product Service, General Electric Radio Receive Department. He had been employed by GE since 1951 when he began as a detail draftsman. He succeeded Frank C. Harden. He was a Utica College graduate.

Norman MacLeod

Rome resident, 110 Maple Street. Joined Board of Trustees in 1962, succeeding Dr. Richard Wilkins, of Holland Patent, who had resigned on June 18th. He was general manager of industrial relations at Revere Copper & Brass at the time. He succeeded Dr. Richard A. Wilkins, Revere vice president for research and development. He was reappointed in 1968 by Governor Rockefeller. His term expired in 1977 and he was named Trustee Emeritus. He retired in 1976 after 42 years with Revere Copper & Brass. Was Vice President for Industrial Relations; had joined the company in 1934 as a student trainee. Lived at 412 Lynwood Street, Rome. Was a graduate of Harvard University with a BS in economics.

Stuart MacMackin – was counsel for the Defense Electronics Division, General Electric Company. He was appointed by County Executive Charles Lanigan in 1965 to fill the unexpired term (until 1967) of Edward P. Heinemann, of Whitesboro, a G.E. executive transferred to Lynn, Massachusetts. MacMackin lived at 127 Gilbert Road, New Hartford. He was a graduate of Utica Free Academy and Dartmouth College. He earned his law degree from Cornell Law School in 1939 and was a member of law firms in Norwich and New York City before joining GE in 1944. With GE he had been located in Schenectady, Syracuse and Philadelphia. Was reelected in Sept 1975 as Board Vice Chair. Was elected Board Chairman in 1977, succeeding Russel Fielding.


Eugene Madden, Jr.

Eugene Madden, Jr., of 1709 Sherman Drive, Utica, was appointed to the Board of Trustees of MVCC by Governor Hugh Carey in July 1976, replacing Bruce McLean of New Hartford, whose term had expired. Madden was named to served a term that would expire June 30, 1984. He was reappointed in 1984 and served until 1995. He was chairman of the board from 1981 to 1983. Madden was president of Madden-VanCott of Syracuse. He was also co-owner of Madden Air Service from 1958 to 1970, and was an active pilot for most of his life. He was a 1942 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, and served in the South Atlantic and Pacific as a fighter pilot during WW II. He was a former president of King Cole of Rome, Inc. He was also a past member and president of the New Hartford School Board. He ran for County Executive in 1967 against then executive Harry Daniels. He served several terms as president of the New Hartford Board of Education. In 1978 he was appointed United States Marshall for the 29-county Northern District of New York by President Jimmy Carter and served until 1982. (October 1976) Received Marvin A. Rapp Award for Distinguished Service from the New York Community College Trustees in 1995. He passed away April 26, 2006, at the age of 84.

Mario Mannella

(September 16, 1976, Observer-Dispatch) – “Legislators Reject Mannella Appointment – By an 18-14 vote, the Oneida County Board of Legislators yesterday rejected County Executive William Bryant’s appointment of Mario J. Mannella to the Mohawk Valley Community College Board of Trustees.
The Republican legislators charged Bryant with making a political appointment in selecting Mannella for the nine-year, unsalaried post.
In turn, Democrat legislators said their GOP counterparts were acting politically in refusing to approve Mannella, a Democrat who has been active in Bryant’s campaigns.
Mannella of New Hartford is president of Dodge-Graphic Press. He also was a supporter of former Utica Mayor Dominick Assaro.


David Mathis

A 1970 graduate, in retail business management. Elected chair (the first time) in August 1983. He was also a 1972 graduate of Utica College. Was elected in 1983 to the Utica Board of Education as its first black member. Appointed to board in 1977 by County Executive William Bryant, and reappointed by different County Executives in 1981, 1990 and 1999 (Eannace). Attended his first meeting on April 12th, 1977. At the time of his appointment, he was director of the manpower services unit of the Career Development Center. First Black member of the Board of Trustees, first Black and first alumnus to serve as Board Chairman. In March 1990, he was appointed to the board of directors of the Association of Community College Trustees (ACCT). Headquartered in Washington, D.C., the ACCT represented more than 85% of all public community colleges in the United States as well as a significant number of Canadian institutions. He was to complete an unexpired term on the 26-member international board, representing the northeastern U.S. In September, 1994, he was appointed chairman of the Association of Community College Trustees/American Association of Community Colleges Joint Commission on Federal Relations. The two associations represented 90% of the nation’s 1,200 two-year colleges, with over six million students. He also served as MVCC Board Vice Chair in 2003-4, and as Chair in 2004-5 and 2005-6. He served as president of the MVCC Alumni Association from 1997-?. He received the MVCC Alumni of Merit Award in 1990, and was among the first to be inducted into the MVCC Hall of Fame in 1996. In 2001, he received the SUNY Faculty Council of Community Colleges’ Distinguished Service Award.

Bruce C. McLean

Was Chairman of the Board in 1969-1972. He was senior vice president, general counsel and a director of Mohawk Airlines. He was first named to the Board in 1966 as a Governor’s appointment. He held an A.B. degree from Hamilton College (1946), and an LLB degree from Cornell University Law School in 1951. He joined Mohawk Airlines in 1955 after a four-year association with Kernan and Kernan law firm in Utica. During World War II he served with the US Army Air Force. He was named a Trustee Emeritus in October 1976. At that time he was an attorney with the Power Authority of New York.

John Porn – was appointed to the Board in 1974 by County Executive William Bryant. He was a senior vice president of Blue Cross-Blue Shield, with which he had been associated for 24 years. Resided in Whitesboro. He died on Feb 22, 1995 at the age of 75.

Frederic W. Roedel – Appointed by Governor Dewey in September 1953 to an eight year term on the Board of MVTI. One of the original 1946 Trustees, he was Chairman of the NYSIAAS Board in 1948, 1949. Lived on Talcott Road, Utica. He operated a jewelry store, did watch repair, sold china, crystal and sterling silver, and was an optometrist, with his business on Genesee Street between Hopper St and Oneida Square. He was a circus fan, serving as national director of the Circus Fans of America, a member of Circus Saints and Sinners, which raised funds for aged and ‘unfortunate circus folk’ and which met ten times a year at the Waldorf Astoria in New York. He died unexpectedly of a heart attack at his home on Sept 20, 1956. He was Board Chairman at the time, and had served in that post for 10 years, since the Institute’s founding. He was succeeded as chairman by Willis V. Daugherty. Roedel was born in August 1886, in Utica.

Milton Rosenthal – Appointed in September 1953 to a two-year term. Lived at 304 North George Street, Rome. He was president of the Nelson Department Store in Rome.

Paul Scalzo – Resigned from Board in November 1976. Was a Utica attorney, resided in New Hartford. He had been appointed in 1972 by Oneida County Executive William Bryant, to succeed Charles Hall.



Dr. Rudolph A. Schatzel

Served on Board from 1956, appointed by Governor Harriman to fill the unexpired term of Frederic Roedel, until 1970. Served as both chairman and vice chairman of the Board, as president of the MVCC Foundation, first president of the Dormitory Corporation, and was the first president of the Association of Boards and Councils of Two-Year Colleges of the State University of New York. Lived at 1406 (or 1101?) N. George Street, Rome. He served as vice president and director of engineering for Rome Cable Corporation. He retired from Rome Cable in 1961. He earned BS and MS degrees in chemistry at Union College and was a teacher there for two years. In 1956, Union College gave him an honorary degree of doctor of science. He was a teaching fellow with Massachusetts Institute of Technology while working on his doctorate in chemistry. During World War II, he served as chairman of the technical advisory committee of the War Production Board on rubber insulation. He was chairman of the technical advisory committee for shipboard wire and cables used in the Navy. After the war, he was a member of the War Production Board investigating German industry. He was a native of Kingston. He was also a trustee of Union College and president of the NY State School for the Deaf in Rome.

In 1964 asked not to be reelected to Board Chairmanship; had been named president of the Association of Boards and Councils of the Two-Year Colleges of the State University of New York. He had been MVCC Board chair since 1961.

C. J. Statt

Was a manager of manufacturing engineering and facilities at General Electric Company’s Light Military Electronics Department in Utica. He was appointed by the Oneida County Board of Supervisors to the first MVTI Board in 1953 for a one year term. He was reappointed in 1954 for a nine-year term. In 1956, he was elected vice chairman. (At the same time, Willis Daugherty became chairman, following the sudden death of founding Board Chair Frederic Roedel.) He later resigned when he transferred to General Electric’s Schenectady location as manager of the Power Tube Department. At the time of his resignation he was vice chairman of the Board of Trustees. He lived at 24 Bolton Road, New Hartford.

John B. Stetson

Received the Richard W. Couper 2005 Living Legend Award at the Oneida County Historical Society Hall of Fame banquet in September 2005. A 1950 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy. Founded the Stetson-Harza firm of architects and engineers in Utica, served on the boards of many local organizations, including Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute. Originally appointed to the Board of Trustees in 1997 by Governor George Pataki, who reappointed him in 2004 for an additional term. He was Board Chair in 2002-2004. He was president of Stetson-Harza Architects, Engineers & Construction Managers from 1963 to 1992. Prior to establishing Stetson-Harza in 1963, he was an officer in the U.S. Navy Civil Engineer Corps. He was a graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, and also held a BCE degree from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, and an MS degree in engineering from Princeton University. In 2006 received the Marvin A. Rapp Award for Distinguished Trustee Service from the New York Community College Trustees.

Joseph C. Talarico

Appointed to Board of Trustees in December 1977 by Governor Hugh Carey. Talarico was president of District Local 1 of the Amalgamated Meat Cutters, Butcher Workmen and Affiliated Crafts of North America (later United Food & Commercial Workers). He was also president of the New York state Union Label and Service Trades Department, and of the Empire State Food and Beverage Council. He was a 1963 graduate of Utica College. He was 36 years old at the time. He resigned in May 1979.

Robert J. Thomas

Retired from the Board of Trustees in 1971 after 18 years of service. Had been on Board since 1953 when he was appointed to a nine-year term on the new MVTI Board by the Oneida County Board of Supervisors. He had been a member of the County Board of Supervisors, from New Hartford, and chaired the Supervisors’ Committee on Institute Affairs. He was also the individual who proposed the name Mohawk Valley Technical Institute. He was employed as secretary of Sturgess Manufacturing Company.

Sheila Vandeveer

First appointed to the Board of Trustees in December 1985 by Oneida County Executive John D. Plumley, and reappointed in 1994 by County Executive Raymond Meier. She filled a vacancy created by the resignation of Dorothy Durr of Whitesboro. Vandeveer was 49 years old at the time, and was assistant superintendent for instruction and personnel director for the Rome City School District. Before that she was assistant principal at Staley Junior High School, held various teaching and counseling positions in Rome and other schools, and served as director of district services. She was a 1954 graduate of Rome Free Academy. She earned a bachelors degree in history, with minors in English and education, from Vassar College in 1958, and completed graduate studies at Syracuse University and SUNY Cortland. She lived at 1743 N. George Street, Rome, with husband Lauren. Received Marvin A. Rapp Award for Distinguished Service from the New York Community College Trustees in 1999. She served as Board Vice Chair in 1991-1993, 1995-1996, 2004-2005 and 2005-2006. She was Board Chair from 1996 to 1998.

Sister Rose Vincent Gleason, O.S.F. Appointed to the Board of Trustees in 1987 by Gov. Mario Cuomo. She was administrator of St. Elizabeth Hospital, Utica. She began her career as a registered nurse at St. Elizabeth Hospital in 1947. She was also a registered X-ray technician. A member of the Sisters of the Third Franciscan Order, she held a bachelor’s degree in nursing education and biological science from Catholic University, Washington, DC, and a master’s degree in hospital administration from St. Louis University, St. Louis, Missouri. She was a member of the board of St. Joseph’s Nursing Home, the Utica Area Chamber of Commerce and the United Way of the Greater Utica Area, and the boards of trustees of St. Joseph’s Hospital in Syracuse and Mercy Hospital in Auburn.


John Watson – one of the original 1946 Trustees of the NYSIAAS at Utica, lived in Albany.

Dr. Richard A. Wilkins - On Board in 1961. He resigned as trustee on June 18, 1962. He was a retired Revere Copper & Brass vice president in charge of research and development. He was succeeded by Norman MacLeod, then general manager of industrial relations for Revere. Resided in Holland Patent.

Paul Worlock- Rome attorney, former State Assemblyman, joined the Board of Trustees in January 1980. Worlock, who served in the assembly from 1961 to 1965 and held the post of Democratic whip in 1965, replaced Russel C. Fielding, who had served on the board since 1977. Worlock’s term was to expire in 1988. He was appointed by Governor Hugh Carey.


Mary-Carmel Wolf

From Rome. She was appointed to the Board in 1992 by County Executive Raymond A. Meier, replacing Dana Higgins, and was re-appointed in 2001 by County Executive Ralph Eannace. She served as vice chair of the Board 1998-2000, and as chair 2000-2002.Received Marvin A. Rapp Award for Distinguished Service from New York Community College Trustees in 2003.

N. Joseph Yagey

N. Joseph Yagey, of New Hartford, was named to the MVCC Board of Trustees by Oneida County Executive John D. Plumley in December 1984, to complete the unexpired term of Nicholas Gentile. He was reappointed by County Executive Ralph J. Eannace, Jr., in 1999. Mr. Yagey was a senior vice president with Oneida National Bank. He was also a trustee of the MVCC Foundation, and was a former chairman of the College’s Occupational Education Advisory Council. Received Marvin A. Rapp Award for Distinguished Service from the New York Community College Trustees in 1997. He served as Board vice chair from 1996 to 1998, and as chair 1989-1991 and 1998-2000.



Student Trustees

1975-1976 John Davis, Utica (son of Walter Davis, a member of the faculty in Electrical Technology), liberal arts and sciences major
1976-1977 Joseph Duffy (resigned)
Joseph Falcone
1977-1978 Richard Taylor
Kevin Ryan
1978-1979 Guy Martin, Utica
1979-1980 Amy Van Dyke
1980-1981 Thomas Dvorscak, Guilderland Center
1981-1982 Robert Grinnell, Canastota, accounting
1982-1983 Lisa Nordberg, Oneida
1983-1984 Lisa Mowers
1984-1985 Lisa Hatalla
Susan Warcup
1985-1986 Riche Henry (first student trustee with vote)
1986-1987 Kenneth Davis, West Winfield, Liberal Arts & Sciences
1987-1988 Debora Burdick, Utica, International Studies
1988-1989 Ava King, Christ Church, Barbados, Advertising Design & Production
Kurt Wygant
1989-1990 (Originally, Scott Sutton, Norwich, Liberal Arts & Sciences – may not have served)
Susan Ray, Cold Brook
1990-1991 Susan Ray, Cold Brook
Karen Love, Bridgewater
1991-1992 Karen Love, Bridgewater
1992-1993 Holly Thomas, Butler, PA
1993-1994 R.J. Hevier, Oneida, Recreation Leadership
1994-1995 Beth Salata, New Hartford
1995-1996 Stephen Becker, New Hartford,
Civil Engineering Technology
1996-1997 David Larkin, Utica and Maine
1997-1998 Harry Van Ness, Utica, Human Services/Chemical Dependency Counseling (he became terminally ill with cancer and could not serve) Was replaced by:
Michael Paninski, Phoenix, NY
1998-1999 Jeffrey Klem, Utica
1999-2000 Douglas MacDaniels, Camden
2000-2001 Adam Hardick, Middletown
2001-2002 Atsushi Motoshige, Japan
2002-2003 Abraham Saffer, Rochester
Kate Button
2003-2004 Cristl Walker, Syracuse
2004-2005 Douglas V. Koba, Munnsville



2005-2006 Douglas V. Koba (fall semester)
Paul Malinowski, Whitesboro, liberal arts & sciences: general studies
(spring semester)
2006-2007 Paul Malinowski (fall semester)



TRUSTEE COMMITTEES

2004-2005
AUDIT & FINANCE COMMITTEE
Mr. Yagey, Chair. Also Mrs. Falvo, Mr. Stetson.

STUDENT SERVICES COMMITTEE
Mrs. Wolf, Chair. Also Mr. Austin, Mr. Koba (student trustee)

ACADEMIC AFFAIRS COMMITTEE
Mrs. Vandeveer, Chair. Also Mr. Calli, Mr. Koba (student trustee)

MILLENNIUM POLICY BOARD
Mrs. Falvo, Chair. Also Mr. Yagey, Mrs. Wolf.

JOINT LIAISON COMMITTEE/MVCC FOUNDATION
Mr. Stetson, Chair. Also Mrs. Wolf, Mr. Austin.

COMPENSATION COMMITTEE
Mr. Mathis, Chair. Also Mr. Stetson, Mrs. Vandeveer

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE/MVCC FOUNDATION
Mrs. Falvo

NEW YORK COMMUNITY COLLEGE TRUSTEES/ASSOCIATION OF COMMUNITY COLLEGE TRUSTEES REPRESENTATIVE
Mr. Mathis

NOMINATING COMMITTEE
Mr. Copeland, Chair. Also Mr. Calli and Mr. Yagey.

2005-2006

AUDIT & FINANCE COMMITTEE
Mr. Yagey, Chair; Mrs. Falvo, Mr. Stetson

STUDENT SERVICES COMMITTEE
Mrs. Wolf, Chair; Mr. Austin, Mr. Koba

ACADEMIC AFFAIRS COMMITTEE
Mrs. Vandeveer, Chair; Mr. Calli, Mr. Koba

MILLENNIUM POLICY BOARD
Mrs. Falvo, Chair; Mr. Calli, Mr. Mathis

JOINT LIAISON COMMITTEE/MVCC FOUNDATION
Mr. Stetson, Chair; Mrs. Wolf, Mr. Austin

BOARD APPOINTEES TO THE FOUNDATION BOARD
Mrs. Vandeveer, Mr. Yagey, Mr. Copeland

ROME CAMPUS REVIEW COMMITTEE
Mr. Austin, Chair; Mrs. Falvo, Mr. Yagey, Mrs. Wolf

SUNYIT/MVCC COLLABORATION COMMITTEE
Mr. Stetson, Chair; Mrs. Falvo, Mrs. Vandeveer

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE/MVCC FOUNDATION
Mrs. Falvo

AUXILIARY SERVICES COMMITTEE
Mr. Calli

NY COMMUNITY COLLEGE TRUSTEES/ASSOCIATION OF COMMUNITY COLLEGE TRUSTEES REPRESENTATIVE
Mr. Mathis

NOMINATING COMMITTEE
Mr. Copeland, Chair; Mr. Calli, Mr. Yagey















MVCC TRUSTEE CHAIRS

Frederic W. Roedel, 1946-1953 (NYSIAA&S)
Frederic W. Roedel, 1953-1957 (MVTI)
Willis V. Daugherty, 1957-1961
Dr. Rudolph A. Schatzel, 1961-1964
Willis V. Daugherty, 1964-1965
Thomas S. Kernan, 1965-1969
Bruce C. McLean, 1969-1972
Russel C. Fielding, 1972-1977
Stuart MacMackin, 1977-1979
Elizabeth Hubbard, 1979-1981
Eugene Madden, 1981-1983
David Mathis, 1983-1987
Warren Copeland, 1987-89
N. Joseph Yagey, 1989-1991
Anthony Garramone, 1991-1993
Elaine Falvo, 1993-1996
Sheila Vandeveer, 1996-1998
N. Joseph Yagey, 1998-2000
Mary-Carmel Wolf, 2000-2002
John B. Stetson, 2002-2004
David Mathis, 2004-2005, 2005-2006