Loading...
 

Rome Campus History

Mohawk Valley Community College's Rome Campus grew out of a request from the U.S. Air Force to offer classes to military personnel. Classes were first held at Griffiss Air Force Base in 1954. Due to increased demand from the community, Rome classes were moved in 1958 to Staley Junior High School. The Rome College Foundation, which began as a special committee from the Rome Chamber of Commerce, convinced the Air Force in 1969 to make three barracks-style buildings near the Floyd Avenue gate at Griffiss available for College use. At this time, day-time instruction and laboratories for typing and office procedures became possible.

On December 17, 1968, the College’s Board of trustees passed a resolution that formally asked Oneida County to approve and support the proposed branch campus. On August 13, 1969, the Oneida County Legislators went on record in favor of an MVCC branch campus at Rome. By this time, a college committee had determined that Liberal Arts, Business, Business Management, and Business Data Processing would be offered at the branch campus. In May 1973, the Oneida County Board of legislators approved the transfer of the former men’s dormitory building of Oneida County Hospital to MVCC. The building was renovated using State aid for create eight laboratories, sixteen classrooms, an auditorium, offices, and a book store. Additionally, an old barn used for maintenance storage was renovated and four vocational classrooms were created by students in the College’s carpentry and Masonry certificate program. At this time, the College’s Rome buildings were known as the MVCC Rome extension center.

In January 1978, the College received a grant of $74,570 under the Vocational Education Act to begin a new program in food service at the Rome extension center. In 1980, the New York State Department of Education mandated that the extension site designation be changed to that of branch campus based on enrollment, faculty, library resources, facilities, and administrative services. In January 1983, the Rome College Foundation donated $4,000 for use in development of library facilities at the Rome Campus. In August 1984, the college announced that it would make eight associate degree programs available completely at the Rome Campus. These included Food Service, Criminal Justice, Secretarial Science, General Studies, Liberal Arts, Accounting, Business Administration, and Data Processing.

In February 1991, the MVCC Foundation kicked off a capital campaign with the goal of raising $300,000 to help and furnish the new Science and Technology Building that was being built at the time with funding from Oneida County and New York State. On October 11, 1991, the John D. Plumley Science and Technology Complex was dedicated. The Plumley complex has a total of 68,390 square feet and included general purpose classrooms, library, 100-seat lecture hall, and fully equipped laboratories for chemistry, biology, geology, physics, photonics, carpentry, and masonry. Additionally, there were an array of student services offices, including Counseling, Registrar, and Business Office. Between 1993 and 1997, Plumley Complex additions included a fitness center, a two-way interactive video/data/audio distance-learning classroom, and a demonstration kitchen/laboratory.


Original Supporting Documentation
Rome Campus Expansion: Plumley Complex Addition
Plumley Complex Opening Program
Rome Campus Plan 2004-2006


Link back to the Rome Campus main page.