Loading...
 

October 26, 2018

Present: Shahida Dar, Julie Dewan, Jen DeWeerth (chair), Dayton Elseth, Matt Fikes, Dan Ianno, Kristen Skobla, Tim Thomas
Excused: Chrono Ho

1. Follow up on Fall 2019 Enrollment Projection

Matt noted that the largest group by far is the continuing/returning group. If we could start disaggregating that more, it might help see what is going on with that group (retention). Separating returning vs. continuing might prove informative. Matt will look into this.

2. Rome Campus proposal

Discussion on this topic was about how the lab sciences will work for the health care programs. Currently MVCC requires A&P 1 & 2, but teaches them only in the Utica cadaver lab. Is the idea to move that lab to Rome? To change the course? Other questions arose. There was also discussion about whether the proposed Rome enrollment increase would come at the expense of Utica. It was decided that Melissa Copperwheat should be invited to EMC so we can better understand the vision of the proposal and some of the impacts. Kristen will contact Melissa.

3. Retention

Dayton will be attending the Associate Dean team meeting on Nov. 15th. Rather than a survey, it was suggested that meeting with them to ask their views and experience on retention would be most effective. Tim suggested that Dayton send out the questions in advance so they can prepare. He will ask about programs/populations in their departments that do better or fare worse with retention and insight into the reasons. Dayton will report back.

4. Other

Shahida reported that Faculty Caucus has questions about EMC’s work. She recommends that EMC attend Faculty Caucus and explain what we do and how, including the data informed projections and recommendations. The first opportunity is Dec. 11th, 2:30-4:30. Hopefully, just as with Guided Pathways, EMC can do occasional updates to Caucus.

Julie reported that there was a meeting between ESL and International Student Recruitment. There was discussion about what would be required to restart a viable Intensive English Program (IEP) which was originally designed for F1 students but has been relying on local students to get enough to run until even that was not enough. International recruitment continues to suffer from competition and the political climate.

Schedule for the rest of the semester: Because of conflicts we determined that our remaining meetings should be: Nov. 9, Nov. 30 and Dec 14. Jen will invite Steph Reynolds to the Dec. 14 meeting as part of our check in with our Cabinet Liaison. There is a concern that the College is not tracking on our student success goal for retention, which is a similar concern for enrollment. This might be a good topic for the conversation.

Next meeting: Friday, Nov. 9th, 11:05-11:55am