Loading...
 

MVCC Foundation

Back to History Directory

MVCC Foundation


1966

(Utica Daily Press, 10/18/66) - “MVCC Student Foundation Established – A Mohawk Valley Community College Foundation has been established by the college Board of Trustees, Thomas S. Kernan, chairman, announced yesterday.
Rudolph A. Schatzel, former vice president of the Rome Cable Corporation and past chairman of the college board of trustees, was elected president.
Other officers are:
Charles W. Hall, chairman of the board of Oneida National Bank and Trust Company, treasurer; Dr. Albert V. Payne, college president, secretary.
Members of the Foundation are: Robert J. Thomas, secretary, Sturgess Manufacturing Company; David R. Evans, supervising foreman, Utica Observer-Dispatch; Stuart MacMackin, counsel, Defense Electronics Division, General Electric Company; and Kernan. Additional members will be selected in the future.
‘The Foundation was established primarily to make it possible for the college to take advantage of ways to assist the student, improve the quality of education or to improve the college which are not covered by public funds,’ Schatzel said.
‘Over the years,’ he continued, ‘some businesses, industries and individuals have expressed an interest in making sizeable contributions to the college. Until the foundation was established, the college was not able to take advantage of this generosity.’…

1970

The residence of Mr. & Mrs. Philip J. Gorea, at 1111 Parkway East, Utica, was presented as a gift to the Mohawk Valley Community College Foundation, to serve as the residence of the College president. The graystone English Tudor building was located about two blocks from the College’s campus. (House was sold in August 2005. President Schafer had already moved to a private residence in Barneveld)

1977

(June 15, 1977, Rome Daily Sentinel) – “MVCC Creates New Post – A new position of Director of Development at Mohawk Valley Community College was established yesterday by the college’s board of trustees in an effort to encourage private donations to the college and improve community relations.
Carmen A. Scalzo, former coordinator of the college’s cooperative education placement office, was named to the new post effective Sept. 1.”

1978

Nicholas Gentile, vice president of Loeb, Rhoades, Hornblower & Co and resident manager of the Utica office, was elected president of the MVCC Foundation in December 1978. Gentile, of Utica, was a 1949 graduate of the MVCC Retail Business Management program. He was also owner of the Ziebart Auto and Truck Rustproofing and Conditioning franchises in Utica, Herkimer and Rome, and had been honored as Alumni of Merit Award winner in 1973. Others elected were Raymond Cardinale, New Hartford, vice president; and Charles W. Hall, Utica, Treasurer. J. Paul Graham, MVCC dean of business affairs, was assistant treasurer, and Carmen Scalzo, MVCC’s director of special projects and development, was secretary. Elected members of the Foundation included Henry Harding, Clinton; Leonard Kowalsky, New Hartford; Murray S. Segal, Utica; Kenneth Moles, Cleveland; Dr. Albert Payne, Clinton, retired MVCC president, and Raymond Green of Utica. Cardinale was manager of production and purchasing at the Bendix Corp plant in Utica. Hall, of 110 Proctor Blvd, Utica, was retired president and board chairman of Oneida National Bank & Trust Co. of Central New York. He was a trustee emeritus of MVCC. Dr. Payne, of Craig Road, Clinton, served as MVCC president from 1953 to 1967. Moles, a 1948 graduate of the College’s Retail Business Management Program, was honored in 1972 as the Alumni of Merit Award winner. He was president and board chairman of Oneida Lake KOA, Inc. Green, a 1956 Retail Business Management graduate, was honored in 1978 as the Alumni of Merit Award winner. A Utica resident, he was president of Credle Equipment Co., of Utica.

1981

The Special Metals Corporation, of New Hartford, donated a transmission electron microscope valued at $100,000. The instrument was to be used by MVCC students in civil engineering technology, physics, biology, mechanical engineering technology, anatomy & physiology, and metallurgy. (April 1981)

1984

Sperry Computer Systems donated a computer system originally valued at more than $300,000 to MVCC for use in instructional programs. Included with the system, previously used at the College for administrative purposes, were 12 terminals, six printers and a variety of tape and disc drives.

Robert D. Haggett, vice president for human resources at Special Metals Corporation in New Hartford, was named president of the MVCC Foundation. He succeeded James R. Pyne, president of Remet Corporation. (August 1984)

1989

The new Utica National Insurance Group Foundation, created as part of the firm’s 75th anniversary celebration, included the MVCC Foundation in its first round of gifts. The insurance group contributed $10,000 to help fund a new scholarship in the College’s Banking & Insurance program. The scholarship memorialized the firm’s late president, Jack Riffle. (August 1989)



1990

Michael C. Austin, assistant secretary and director of corporate communications at the Utica National Insurance Group, was named president of the MVCC Foundation. He succeeded Robert D. Haggett, vice president for human resources at Special Metals Corporation in New Hartford, who served in the position for six years. Austin was a 1974 graduate of MVCC.

1991

The MVCC Foundation kicked off its first capital campaign in February 1991, with a goal of raising $300,000 to help equip and furnish a new Science & Technology Building, then under construction on the College’s Rome Campus. The first gift in the campaign, a $7.500 check, came from the Rome College Foundation. (February 1991)

The Foundation created a number of full-time and part-time scholarships in electrical technology, with a bequest of $250,000 by the last Arthur Salvetti. Salvetti, of Solvay, NY, was a 1954 graduate of the College. He had worked at General Electric Company of Syracuse as a radar technician from the time of his graduation until his early retirement for medical reasons in 1990. (November 1991)

In December 1991, the Foundation created Presidential Scholarship program. Under the program, graduates of Oneida County high schools in the top 10% of their graduating classes would be able to attend MVCC tuition-free. Unrestricted Foundation funds would supplement other financial aid programs to equal MVCC’s tuition for full-time study. Those who maintained a “B” average would also receive the scholarship during their second year at the College. (December 1991)

2002

BlueCross BlueShield contributed $150,000 to name a Conference & Training Center in the new Laboratory & Telecommunications Building (later called the Information Technology/Performing Arts/Conference Center Building). (See BUILDINGS) The gift marked the start of a five-year $3 million capital campaign, with the theme “Building on Excellence.”

2003

On June 23, Lawrence P. DiCesare of Sauquoit was appointed president of the MVCC Foundation, succeeding College Trustee Elaine Falvo, who had served from 2001 to 2003. DiCesare had been a member of the Foundation Board since 1994, and served previously as treasurer. He was administrator of Eden Park Health Center. He held an A.A. degree in liberal arts and sciences from MVCC, a BS degree from SUNY Institute of Technology, and an MBA from RPI. Michael J. Parsons was named Foundation vice president, succeeding Michael Evans. Parsons was President/CEO of First Source Federal Credit Union. Dana E. Jerrard of Utica, an information systems manager at Vicks Lithograph& Printing Corporation, was selected as Foundation treasurer.

2005

In August, 2005, the President’s home at 1111 Park East was sold.